Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The End Summary

Prior to this subject I knew vague bits and pieces of a few things but really not much on Art and Books, the relationship between text and image, content and form/structure, how methods and materials affect a books final form, what is the function or even purpose of a book, the transition of format of the book over the years....... I had never even thought to question what a book was. It's format, its parameters, its content, it's message. It's affect on our world and our individual lives. I honestly believed my knowledge on this subject, vast subject, has been broadened dramatically.
Keeping a journal is a great way to mark my progress - include my interests, some visuals etc.... It shows my progression of learning. At first i only saw the blog format as a new way to keep a journal (never having blogged before), now I view it as a digital medium that threatens paper expressions such as books and journals. I see it as a modernistic means to create my own artists book - which now I completely intend to do. I quite liked Ruth Hadlow's 'Pattern Book' as a format, sans the audio element of people talking. But my own artistic skills are a bit more like Tom Phillip's messy doodles.
In some places i have been inspired to extend my research and learning outside of the subject readings.
I chose the comics topic, mainly because I was so taken with Maus. I'd previously written an essay on Nazi warfare propaganda and WW2 propaganda in general. 'Ducktails' was a piece of the study material given to us. It was a Disney cartoon depicting themes of racism, discrimination and sub-human treatments. Maus was interesting to me as a story, because I found a lot of similarities between Maus and Ducktails, but also Maus was interesting because of the HOW they told it - through the comic (graphic novel) format.... cleverly using image and text in panels to create. I'd been expecting some cute story on superheros.... but found that Maus depicted the survival through the holocaust. Quite serious themes and intelligent uses of metaphors and symbolism. I will definitely read more into Maus and am considering writing a comparative/contrasting essay (outside of uni requirements) on Maus and Ducktails.
I have worked consistently. Thinking about the topics and asking other people what they have thought. I've had some great discussions with my peers and the people around me. I would start a journal entry or segment and add to it every few days or so, as I got the time but also as new thoughts arose. Generally I really loved the subject and the relationship between text and image was very interesting. Format and content was interesting too - say in pop up books. I loved that aspect. This subject has really just made me think. And think! I have been inspired! I made an accordion book which I posted to my blog and since then have made three more for friends. I also posted a very useful YouTube clip on how to make one. I found having the visuals much more helpful.
In my learning I found that the detail of the making of paper and the printing process was intense. I had NO idea how much work went into their production. When you realise this, as I did, I discovered a whole new well of respect for the era and the amazing work they created and produced despite the serious lengthy amount of time it took to make. I could then also appreciate how far and how fast technology has taken us. How integral all of this was in the giant scheme of things.
I remember reading in the illuminated manuscripts section, one of the readings said that the church used large full sized pages in big gospel books to portray images flecked with gold paint highlights. This was to enable the non literate priests (or gospel readers) to interpret the story as they may via image if not text, and the large pictures made an impression on the seated audience of church people. The gold highlights assisting in the creation of a holy atmosphere, gilded in rich gold and light :) It was here when i realised the sheer depth of what text and imagery could contribute. It could encourage ones very faith. It allowed for illiterate readers, and helped them to read the story anyway. It did so much. And not just in this one specific example. Text and image, form and content..... through the measurable ages of their progression............... wow. I feel as if i have a tiny minuscule understanding of how big this subject really is. It's endless. But I feel as though I have learnt much from where I first started. And I intend to keep learning about this. I will certainly view things differently from here though.

No comments:

Post a Comment