Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Book Form



From Reading: A Brief History of the Book

I would like to see what Papyrus looks like. I studied ancient history in highschool but never once saw what it looked like. The idea of giant scrolls sounds weighty and uncomfortable. Updating to tablets sounds even heavier. The scholars must have been muscley.






---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Reading: The Whatness of Bookness, or What is a Book.


Its true that the identity of the book is morphing with the digital age. Or is it that the morphing of the book started a long time ago with its actual birth? And has been progressing ever since?

I think this guy is English?? He sounds it :) He raises good points on Quality. Form/Content. What is in a name? and how this affects the identity of a book. But I agree about his multi-planed pages and the relationship they have with each other in that 'book' like format. This would be a more traditional view of a book. To me its more traditional. Maybe thats because I am an artist - and can see that creation encompasses what i want it to. It becomes what I mould of it. He has strict guidelines it appears on 'bookness'. I agree that a teddy with text on him is not a book.... but I also like the opportunity for variation................. Watch this space..... I feel like creating something 'booky' that falls outside of this guys restrictive guideline......... For any of you who wish to copy what I have written here...... you do not have copyright permission to do so :)


This is my handbook creation. It would never be massively distributed as I fear there would be a severe supply issue :) Is it bookish? Yes. It has the shape and form of a book. It has the context of a narrative story. Whilst not bound or made from traditional papers - It still opens as a book, and has follow through on multiple plains which a book needs. I think my experiment embodies 'bookness'.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From Reading: What is a Book? by Ed Hutchins


I'm more in favour of this guys take. The variation. Embrace the makers make. Funny that he had a response to the other reading as I did :) One of slight rebellion :)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment