Saturday, May 28, 2011

Kelmscott Chaucer VS Illuminated Manuscripts

* I've had some trouble accessing the Kelmscott Chaucer information, so i've had to find it elsewhere where I could.



Kelmscott Chaucer VS Illuminated Manuscripts

Kelmscott illustrations for the most part are black and white. Whilst teh Illuminated manuscripts were rich in vibrant colour. It was such a strong visual characteristic of the time... and a real artform to do it properly.
The chaucer uses every available space for either text or illustration/decoration. Each section of text or imagery is neatly boxed within a frame. Whereas the Illuminated manscripts tended to merge text with imagery more.
The Kelmscott has paragraphs within their text. It breaks up the page more and makes it easier for reading. Also the style of imagery is a lot more modern. With a strong emphasis on gothic and medieval art...
I think in the Kelmscott Chaucer - the imagery could be described as both decorative and illustrative. Decoratibve by teh thick margins framing the story, then illustrative through the images telling the story alongside the text. I think its important to have both text AND illustration. Both play their roles and merge together to complete the package. It would not be whole without both elements.
Very good quality paper, ink and general materials were used for this book.
Personally, I would love to read teh kelmscott chaucer. I think its so beautiful. I love that peopel have spent so much time in teh thinking, the designing and creating of one body of work. I think its rare and quite special. I love the illustrations and decorations in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment